Sports Medicine Fellowship Trained
Knee, shoulder, elbow reconstruction
Dr. Rhode completed his sports medicine training at the Southern California Center for Sports Medicine. This is an accredited fellowship institution where Dr. Rhode spent an additional year training in complicated reconstruction of the shoulder, knee and elbow. Prior to that, he completed his five-year surgical residency at the Medical College of Wisconsin and his four-year medical training at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Dr. Rhode is also triple-board certified in orthopedic surgery, orthopedic sports medicine, and by the American Board of Independent Medical Examiners, which governs impairment ratings.
Dr. Rhode is trained in all orthopedic injuries and specializes in knee, shoulder, and elbow reconstruction. He has received specialty training in all-arthroscopic rotator cuff repair, arthroscopic shoulder instability repair and knee ligament reconstruction. He was one of the first surgeons in the United States to perform the Oxford partial knee replacement and the double bundle ACL reconstruction.
Dr. Rhode frequently serves as an educator for the Arthroscopy Association of America, teaching other orthopedic surgeons knee and shoulder arthroscopy. Surgeons trust Dr. Rhode to teach them the complicated procedures that they perform in their own practice.
“My goal is to educate the patient such that they understand their condition and the risks and benefits of each treatment. Most aspects of orthopedic surgery are not life and death situations. More often, a change in quality of life must be weighed against the risks of a particular treatment. An informed patient is able to determine what course of treatment is appropriate for them.”
-Blair Rhode, M.D.
Dr. Rhode’s Specialty Procedures:
- Minimally invasive (MIS) mobile bearing total knee replacement
- Oxford minimally invasive partial knee replacement
- Double bundle ACL reconstruction
- PCL reconstruction
- Meniscus Transplantation
- Meniscus Repair
- Cartilage Transplantation
- Allograft articular cartilage transplantation (OATS)
- Osteotomies about the knee
- Total shoulder replacement
- Shoulder resurfacing (Copeland)
- Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair
- Arthroscopic instability repair
- Acromio-clavicular joint reconstruction
- SLAP Repair
- Elbow replacement
- Elbow ligament reconstruction- “Tommy John Surgery”
- Hip arthroscopy
- FAI surgery
Dr. Rhode’s Training
- Southern California Center for Sports Medicine – Sports Medicine Fellowship
- Medical College of Wisconsin – Orthopedic Surgery Residency
- University of Wisconsin-Madison – Medical school
- University of Wisconsin-Madison – BS Biochemistry